Thursday, 3 February 2011

Happy Chinese New Year 2011!

I just wanted to wish you all a prosperous and extremely happy new year! 

To me, Chinese New Year is quite important because it's part of my culture. Being brought up in a Western country has obviously made me different to how I would have been if I had been brought up in Asia, but my family do try and celebrate as many Chinese festivals as possible. 

I think Chinese New Year is great because of the way it's mostly celebrated. It tends to consist of  a family gathering (large or small) and it's pretty much a chance to catch up with each other and wish each other well for the lunar year to come. I think it's different to the Western New Year because I seem to have it in my head that the calendar new year is basically a chance for everyone to go out and have a party (correct me if I'm wrong). 

Of course, every chinese kid will tell you that the best thing they love about Chinese New Year is receiving their red packets! The tradition is for married relatives or close friends to give red packets out to children or those in the family who are not yet married (although I'm not sure what the rules are if I'm still single when I'm 30.. if my sister's married.. does she give me money? LOL. Someone tell me if you know!)

But yeah. Chinese New Year is great because it means everyone gets to catch up and feel all fuzzy warm when they wish each other the same wishes they did last year!! (Hahaha, I'm sure if you're Chinese and reading this, you know what I mean!!) Most of the time, I find myself just reading the wishes that we post on the walls because I seem to be repeating the same ones so much!

Anyways, hope you all have an amazing lunar new year, and that the year of the rabbit brings you all plenty of love, luck, hope, and happiness.

Have faith, and stay happy!

Priscilla, Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment - it really means a lot to me. I always reply to genuine comments, so make sure to check back or click to subscribe for future comments :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...