Monday, 30 May 2011

Review: Biore Pore Unclogging Scrub

I'd been using the Biore Facial Scrub (pictured below) for a while, so when I ran out of it, I went out to see what else I could get. I got this one from Hong Kong, so I didn't expect to be able to find the same one over here.


I picked this up from Superdrug a few months ago for about £3 - I don't remember the exact price, but it was on offer, so I decided to try it out. I figured it would be the same as the Asian version.


Description:

'Now your pores can breathe a sigh of relief with Biore Pore Unclogging Scrub. This gentle deep pore cleansing scrub with salicylic acid gently lifts away dead skin cells and cleanses away pore-clogging dirt and oil. Perfect to use everyday to leave your skin looking radiant and fresh.'

It also claims to be:

- Dermatologically tested
- Hypo-allergenic
- Non-pore clogging
- Gentle enough for everyday use


My thoughts:

The very first time I used this, I squeezed out what I used to with the 'Asian' version of the scrub. Little did I know that this was way too much product - I find the formula quite concentrated, and although there was a refreshing menthol feel, it started to burn my face. I had to wash it off immediately. Compared to the Biore Scrub from Hong Kong, the new one did not make my face feel tight after use.

With further use, I finally got the amount right, and I can now say I am a big fan of this scrub. One of the biggest things I like is the minty smell and the fact that it's oil free. The scrub feels refreshing and the micro-beads do a good job at getting rid of dead skin cells, but I don't find it good for unclogging pores. However, it definitely does live up to its claim of leaving your skin looking 'fresh and radiant'. Also, make sure you don't rinse your face with water that's too cold. Near the start of the year, the ice cold tap water made it so painful to use this minty scrub because I'd wince every time I had to rinse my face! XD



I feel that I should mention my disagreement with the claim that it can be used daily. First off, I feel like you should only use scrubs twice a week anyway because it's too harsh, but the fact that this scrub is menthol-y + salicylic acid causes it to dries out the skin with frequent use. I only use this once a week because it dries out my cheeks pretty badly if I use it more than that.

I quite like that it's in a squeeze tube because it makes it easy to get the right amount, and the fact that it's translucent packaging means that you can easily see how much product is left. The only bad thing I'd say about it is that it's difficult to read the text because both the product and the text are basically the same colour, and it's so difficult to make sure no micro beads get into your hair line! I've actually stopped using it at the sink because of it - I use it in the shower now :P

See what I mean about the text?

Aside from all of my negative complaints, I do love this as a keep-acne-and-dead-flakey-skin-at-bay solution :)

Price: Around £5

Packaging: Hygienic, easy to use, handy squeeze tube with text that is difficult to make out due to same colour product

Place: You can get it at any drug store e.g. Superdrug or Boots

Positive: Nice scent, refreshing, makes skin look brighter, does a good job at dead skin removal, hygienic packaging, oil free

Negative: Hard to read text on packaging, has a scent (if you can't take scented products), dries out skin with frequent use, not suitable for daily use, micro beads can get a bit messy

Final mark: 4/5

Verdict: I'm not sure that I would repurchase this for the original price of £5, but that's probably cos I'm quite a cheapo. I would definitely repurchase it if it was on offer though, because apart from drying out my skin when I used to use it too often, I do really find this scrub awesome :)

2 comments:

  1. I agree that scrubs should only be used once or twice a week especially since we wash our faces with cleansers anyway. Too clean can be a bad thing, too

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how the exfoliating beads in this are round and smaller so it's gentler on the skin :) And yeah, I agree that scrubs shouldn't be used daily. You need to allow enough time for your body to regenerate new layers of skin in between scrub sessions.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment - it really means a lot to me. I always reply to genuine comments, so make sure to check back or click to subscribe for future comments :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...