Monday, 2 March 2015

Asia 2014: South Korea - Day 3

Catch up with our South Korea trip here: 012.1, 2.2.

With it being our third day in South Korea, we decided to be a little more adventurous. Our day started by meeting our friend 'Mr Kim' at Seoul train station, before being whisked off to a local car rental site...



Operating out of a metal shipping container, we hardly felt comfortable with renting from this company... But Mr Kim reassured us that most of the car rental companies operated in the same way. We made sure the rental covered insurance, paid up, and clambered into our shiny white Hyundai.


Our first half an hour involved us going round and round in circles, confused on how to use the in-car GPS system, which seemed completely unaware of its actual function. It repeatedly directed us to the same, incorrect location - nowhere near the destination that we had manually entered!


After two and a half hours, we finally arrived in Incheon!


Of course we had to visit China Town!


It really reminded me of Spirited Away, with its large store signs and red lanterns everywhere.



We found a decent looking restaurant, and went in for lunch! It was pretty cool - the ground floor had a large steamed bun making kitchen. I always enjoy peering in to see them at work, full of skill :) Plus, I get to see how hygienic they are. Hahaha :)


Not long after ordering, our food arrived!





The food was decent, and it was nice to chill in the air conditioning and watch people casually stroll through the town.


After lunch, we set off to explore the rest of China Town.


There were so many cute things!


We stopped outside the Jjajangmyeon Museum! Jjajangmyeon is a Korean noodle dish topped with a thick sauce made of chunjang (a salty black soybean paste), diced pork and vegetables, and sometimes also seafood. (Thanks, Wikipedia ;) haha.) I'm not sure who had it first (and I'm not looking to start that debate) but I know that Zhajiangmian (醡醬麵) is also a Chinese dish. Both as yummy as each other, the mix of paste and noodles is extremely filling, even if it might not be the healthiest of foods :P but what healthy food tastes amazing?! (Says the nutrition graduate...)



Once we'd done enough exploring, we set off to a beach recommended by Mr Kim...


Stopping by Fortune Hill on the way :)



After a hair-raising car journey (in which I somehow managed to fall asleep...), we finally arrived, strongly against the idea of Mr Kim driving us back to Seoul! I have never experienced anyone's driving as terrifying as his... sorry, Daehwan!!


I love these photos of us :)



I was really glad that we went to Eurwangni Beach despite it being such a short stop. It was so relaxing and beautiful. The ahjummas calling out for us to try the fresh seafood at their restaurants was also rather amusing :P



Having stretched our legs and taken photos/videos to our hearts' content, we headed back to the car and happily let Kin take the wheel. It was a good thing he'd applied for that international driver's licence!

Over two hours later, we arrived in Seoul and parked in a makeshift parking space (not even sure you could park there...)


Unfortunately the seafood buffet restaurant we were looking to try was fully booked and unlikely to have any free tables that evening (it was almost 9pm when we arrived). Luckily, the area we were in was basically a square full of restaurants galore!


Eventually we ended up in the restaurant pictured above - famous for pig trotters! 





As most of the food was either cold or too spicy, I ended up wolfing down about two of these seafood pancakes on my own... The only reasons why I would never live in South Korea is the language barrier (I'd be willing to learn though) and the food. I love the culture and the people. I just can't cope with spicy foods :(



We had a really great evening! The boys agreed to take the car back to the dealership the next morning since they were going out together after dinner. 


We set off for the train station and eventually arrived back in Myeongdong, satisfied with our exciting day. There was still about an hour before the shops closed... so obviously I did some more damage before we went back for some rest!

I still remember this as one of my favourite days in South Korea... the best is still to come in this blog series!

As always, thank you for reading!

Priscilla,
Xx

Disclaimer: The amazingly beautiful and professional shots featured in this blog post are not my own. They have been used with kind permission from Kin :) A few of my own photos do appear, but the majority do not belong to me.

2 comments:

  1. the food really looks so tempting!! I want!!

    Big Dreamer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pancake was really good!! Food is Korea is amazing (when it's not too spicy for me :'D) Xx

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment - it really means a lot to me. I always reply to genuine comments, so make sure to check back or click to subscribe for future comments :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...